Wellness Wednesday #35 – Clothes

buttonThe four rollaways pictured below contain 70 lbs worth of wardrobe. My goal is to go through them one by one: the top, which holds the “almost fits” clothes; then the next size down, and the next, until I get to that bottom rollaway. That rollaway is the fullest, holding my wardrobe from 2013-2014, the years I was at a healthy weight, 70 lbs less than I currently weigh.

10-goal-clothesEverything I owned before then – except for a few pieces kept for nostalgia – was donated before I started gaining weight back. Optimism, perhaps, or just the fact that I’d been in control of my body for so long and expected to remain so. The increase up to my current size was so rapid that honestly, my piles of clothing at each size up consist of whatever cheap I happened to find. I don’t really look forward to most of what’s in those rollaways, until I get to the bottom. Really, I just look forward to getting to each of them, then through each of them, until I’m back to the clothes I truly love.

This entry was posted in Wellness and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Wellness Wednesday #35 – Clothes

This is a good idea. Right now all of my too small clothes are just thrown into my closet, usually in a fit of despair after yet another thing doesn’t fit anymore. Maybe organizing will also be inspiring!

2. Kailana says:

Sounds like a fun goal! Good luck!!

I recently just donated the last of the clothes I had that did not fit. It broke my heart to do so because there were two blouses in there that I absolutely love. But it was more mentally damaging to have them hanging there year after year knowing I could not fit into them, and I certainly was not motivated by them. So, we do what we must.

However, that is me, with no willpower these days. You have proven you can do it, and I look forward to watching your journey from the sidelines while you get to that last bin!

I did that once, the first time we moved from Wisconsin to Texas (in late 2005). I still regret getting rid of some things. I didn’t expect to ever fit into them, but I could have in 2012-2014. I’ve gotten rid of some of the basic stuff like $5 tank tops I love, because it’s easy to get more (they’re a Walmart staple!), plus things like underwear that I wouldn’t want to keep over years, but there are some things I never want to give away even if they are just memory-clothes. They definitely pass the “spark joy” test for me, just seeing them and touching them again. As long as they do that, I’ll keep them!

4. Shawna says:

Oh my goodness! I’ve been back to Sparkpeople for this very reason- accountability and tracking. Then I went to look people up from there! I have this EXACT SAME SET-UP. Except mine are Rubbermaid TUBS of my old ‘at/near healthiest weight’ clothes. and then the unfortunate tubs of up-sizes. I look forward to you and I both reaching our bottom bin/tubs.
    -adventureseeker

Hello! So good to see you here! We’ll have to catch up on Spark. Like I was saying to Michelle above, I only kept the best-of-the-best of my clothes (and I have some tucked away in a closet, arranged by size), and I’m so looking forward to being back in them – if only I could find the strength to work my butt off at this weight loss thing again. Well and it would help if I wasn’t injured. I’m going on 16 months of a completely screwed up ankle and have ANOTHER appointment with ANOTHER doctor and probably ANOTHER round of xrays (set #3!) in about two weeks. Hopefully soon it can heal because it’s really making it difficult for me to work out!