This page is focused on small/local businesses with good practices, sustainability, and/or service. Each of the businesses listed below are ones I’ve personally had good experiences with. If I’ve written about the company specifically, I will also link out to the blog post. I plan to add to this list over time. In no particular order:
- Uye Surana – handmade lingerie for diverse clientele
- Rsport – plus size athletic wear for a diverse range of body types
- Mildfire Coffee – the best coffee in the world, locally owned and operated
- Superfit Hero – athletic wear for size L to 7XL
- Lipslut – lipstick with a side of the political
- Alamo Drafthouse – movie theatre, plus online movie streaming and merchandise
- Milberger’s Landscaping & Nursery – local garden center
- Give Sunshine – handmade gift boxes/packages of various sizes
- White Hand Designs – handmade morse code bracelets (!!!)
- Nine Lives Books – used bookstore
- Baloo – the best weighted blankets that ever existed (my Baloo review)
- Kavu – outdoor wear (my particular experience is with their sling bags)
- Knight Watch Games – gaming store (board games, RPG, MTG, etc)
- Catastrophe Cat Toys – um…cat toys… 😀
- Girlfriend Collective – recycled plastic athletic wear for a diverse range of bodies
Note: I’m not currently including restaurants, though I may choose to add these in a separate list at a later date.
The following are larger businesses that still conduct themselves with local- and customer-focused practices. While they are larger, I would highly endorse them as wonderful companies to shop from.
- Fleet Feet – primarily shoes, but other running and athletic gear, as well as classes, training groups, and events
- REI Co-op – outdoor athletic gear, as well as classes and trips
- HEB – groceries and more
I’m happy to take recommendations for small businesses online (or local businesses in the San Antonio area)! Not taking recommendations for businesses that work under a MLM model.