Today’s Top Ten Tuesday is a Halloween-themed freebie, so I’m going the non-bookish route and looking back over my favorite Halloween(ish) memories through the years!
1. I enjoyed Halloween as a kid, but it was really college when the holiday got super fun. My friends and I dressed up and went out trick-o-treating in a rich neighborhood despite being 18/19 years old. We also took pictures in front of an old steeple that was just sitting on the side of the road. Really.
4. Making a Halloween-themed gingerbread house has been a tradition for us ever since Jason and I met back in 1999. We can’t do one every year, but we build them when we can. We’ve made a courthouse hanging, a witch-burning, the headless horseman, a scene from Sweeney Todd, and Twilight (complete with a stalker werewolf). My favorite was the year we made a gingerbread Stiffs, Inc concert. They’re my favorite band and they loved the gingerbread portrayal! Notably, Twilight was our last and that was five years ago. We need to get on it next year!
5. Back when Laurence was three years old, he went as a pirate for Halloween. We used eyeliner to draw a scruffy beard on him, because we knew he wouldn’t keep a cotton-ball beard on. We found out later that he was terrified that if he moved his mouth, the eyeliner would drip into it and he’d swallow it, so he held his mouth in this semi-open position all night. Ha! (Next to him, Ambrose dresses as Harry Potter and Morrigan dresses as Stewart Little.)
7. Because Halloween falls the night before NaNoWriMo starts, I have a lot of great memories over the years finishing up the Halloween-related stuff and getting ready to burst out of the gates for my wordcount.😀 Pictured is the midnight kickoff in 2015.
9. Halloween morning, 2014, Boston. Laurence, in full costume, passes me as I’m making coffee. I point to my coffee mug, which is Slytherin-themed, and say, “Slytherin mug.” Laurence stops for a few seconds, points to his vampire-slicked-back-hair, and says, “Slytherin hair.” That still cracks me up every time I think of it. (Laurence was technically an assassin that year, while Ambrose dressed as Luke Skywalker and Morrigan decided he was “too old” to dress up.)
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.