It’s that time of year! Time to decide what I want to accomplish in 2017. Last year, I didn’t make any goals, and I really regretted that. Even in years where I only focus on one section of my goals, I feel like I’ve accomplished something. Last year? Nothing. So this year, I’ve definitely made goals for myself!
Health: For my health, I’d like to lose weight, improve my health numbers (especially my insulin levels), improve my strength, improve my nutrition, and redevelop regular exercise habits and routines. To do this, I plan to:
- heal my ankle**
- do 100+ weight bearing workouts this year
- spend the warmer months walking to complete the Appalachian trail on the Wii Fit U (687 more miles)**
- average 3+ fruits and veggies daily
- create and complete monthly challenges to improve nutrition and fitness
**An MRI late in December showed that I didn’t just sprain my ankle (regardless of what the initial xrays said), but fractured the top nubbin of one of the larger foot bones (where the bruising is in the picture at the above link). It didn’t slide out of place, so it’s partially healed, but not nearly as healed as it should be given the time that’s passed, and is still not fully connected to the rest of the bone. For the next six months, I’m instructed to only do low-impact exercises (so the walking goal above will depend on how quickly the ankle heals), as well as a few other things that the doc hopes will finally heal this stupid thing. My goal to heal my ankle is mostly a commitment to the doc’s instructions.
Social: My goals this year will focus on two things – keeping up my strong current ties with friends and family in Texas, and creating new ties in my current location. To do this, I will:
- participate in the Run 4 Hope 5K (an annual tradition with friends) in San Antonio
- spend Christmas in San Antonio with family
- meet my newest nephew, Rory, in person
- send 25+ non-Christmas cards/letters
- go to 25+ new-to-me local places and/or events
- participate in NaNoWriMo here to find other local writers
Writing: My goals are simple here – to redevelop regular writing habits. To help with this, I plan to work on edits for my current manuscript, write a second draft of one pending manuscript, and draft something entirely new during NaNoWriMo. While it’s not necessary, I’d love to get back to an average of at least 10K words monthly.
Books: Another simple area, as I’m happy with my current book-and-blog life. This year, I’d like to make good progress into the Wheel of Time series, and get through my backlogged Audible queue.
Other: This category is a kind of everything else catch-all. Other things I’d like to accomplish in 2017:
- get out of credit card debt
- replace our roof
- finish our current weekend project list (house repairs/improvements)
- finish making my in-progress afghan
- use up my current yarn inventory
- get two specific tattoos that I’ve been meaning to get for almost three years now
- do 10 tarot readings (for myself or others)
Yes, that’s a lot of things, and no, I don’t expect to complete them all. I like having a plan and a structure, though, and I’ll do my best to complete as many of them as possible. To keep myself accountable, I’ll check in here quarterly. Wish me luck!