Sunday Coffee – Familiarity

img_6987It’s that time of year. The time of year that I tend to sit back and dive back into some favorite books, rereading at a relaxing pace, spending time with old friends. Some Decembers, I reread the Harry Potter series or offshoot books. Some years, I revisit pre-blogging favorites or books from early in my blog years. In other years, like this one, I tend to revisit books I’ve loved throughout the current year.

After my disastrous reading of Aerie last month, which followed several disappointing or barely-remembered reads, I decided my brain needed to switch to books I was already familiar with. Books that had become comfort reads by starting as multi-read books (books I read multiple times in a row, not wanting to move on to others) seemed like the best choice, and that led me right back to where I was in January, with Words of Radiance. The giant novel and super-long audiobook has remained foremost among my favorite books of 2016. I’m still itching to get my hands on Book 3 (Oathbringer) even though, last I heard, it won’t come out until late next year. This world and these characters feel so real and alive to me, and as soon as I began listening to the book for the Nth time, I knew I’d made the right choice. Sometimes you just need familiarity, comfort, and old friends.

This entry was posted in Book Talk and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Sunday Coffee – Familiarity

1. Karen K. says:

I agree, the holidays are a good time for comforting reads. There’s so much going on, it’s a good time to read something familiar. I was reading P. G. Wodehouse and I think I’m going to tackle another Poldark next.

I was kinda disappointed by Demelza (the book, not the character). It might have just been the audio narrator, who was dull to listen to. I haven’t felt like continuing the series since then though.

2. Kailana says:

You are so much better at rereading than I am. lol That being said, I still haven’t read Words of Radiance in the first place. I do have it. lol

I think this is a lovely tradition. Everything about the holidays calls for reflection and nostalgia, and what better way to incorporate that into your reading than to read favorites again? Perfect.

Enjoy your re-reads and the season!

It’s ironic, since I’m normally a fairly extroverted person unless something’s wrong, but I always withdraw in December, which of course is when all the holiday parties take place. And I love the holiday parties – I’m going to miss all my family Christmases this year! – but all the rest of the time I just want to be alone.

• Michelle says:

I think the holidays are just plain overwhelming, so I can see that a lot of people withdrawing just to be able to handle it all. Hopefully, you can develop some new traditions with your Wisconsin family and find a way to enjoy the season while finding that balance between extroversion and introversion.