Originally when I read today’s topic, I thought I’d focus solely on futuristic settings. Then, going through some of my favorite books, I realized I had quite as many historic settings that I love in them, despite not really reading a lot of historical fiction. I decided to split my answers into the two categories, and give them equal weight!
1. Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson
2. Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather
3. Germinal by Emile Zola
4. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
5. The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
– Runners up: The Quick by Lauren Owens and The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
6. The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist
7. The Giver by Lois Lowry
8. the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld
9. the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
10. The Host by Stephenie Meyer
– Runners up: the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer and Nekropolis by Maureen McHugh
What are some of your favorite historic/futuristic settings?
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.