Sunday Coffee – January

IMG_3869I don’t have much to say in terms of wrapping up January. The month mostly consisted of two things. The first was in my personal life: depression. The second was in books: Brandon Sanderson. It’s this second I want to focus on here, because I have a feeling I’m going to be somewhat obsessed and in multi-read mode over the next couple months.

I didn’t expect Words of Radiance to inflame me so strongly. I’d put off reading the book since it came out almost two years ago. There was no way I could predict just how strongly I would fall in love with the book – the sort of falling in love that makes me obsessively read/listen to it over and over and over again, plus inspires me to revisit all my old favorites by Sanderson. As I said, I imagine this will continue for the next few months.

Really, WoR was really just that incredible. And you know what? I love when the year starts out with amazing books. Last year, it was All Joy and No Fun, followed by Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell – both books that became favorites for 2015. In 2012, I began the year with Howl’s Moving Castle, which (like WoR) I multi-read (about a half-dozen times). In 2011, it was The Host, another year-favorite. Starting the year off with amazing books just sets the tone right for the whole year! And hmmm…I notice a pattern…every single one of these is an audiobook! Audiobooks FTW!

How was your January?

8 Responses to Sunday Coffee – January

1. Karen K. says:

Reading-wise, a bit of a failure — I only finished six books, and just ONE from my own shelves — but at least it was one that’s been on my TBR list for about eight years, so that’s something. I’ve just signed up for the Read My Own Damn Books Challenge, so hopefully that will help inspire me to stop reading library books and read my own instead.

Wahoo for starting the bookish year off so strong! I like that you go back and read a book several times. I used to do it when I was a kid, but lately I worry that I won’t have enough time to read everything I want to even once. It makes picking up something I’ve already read tough. :/

For me, January was great in reading! The happiest realization was how many of these books were 1) ones I already owned, and 2) very, very enjoyable. I’m glad that it seems like I have good book-buying taste. 😉

I used to have that fear, of not having enough time to read everything I wanted to read. Then I just got a lot pickier about what I wanted to read. There are times when I’ve cleared out my TBR completely! Mostly because I only put books on there that I unconditionally want to read. Anything that’s a maybe or an “if I’m in a particular mood,” I keep off. I’ll read those when they strike my fancy, and if I never get to them, I’m not worried about it. Makes things simpler, haha!

The right books at the right time make all of the difference. I’m glad you found the right one to kick off this year!

I love that all of your favorites for the year end of being at the beginning of the year and are audiobooks. I also think this may be a hint that audio is your preferred method of read. Perhaps?

I think audio is definitely my preferred for some kinds of books, and certain times of year, Dec/Jan included. My problem is that I’m so very picky about what I listen to on audio (kind of book, as well as narrator) that I’m sometimes very limited in choices. Still, I do adore it.