As discussed in December, I’ve decided to make my individual 2019 goals to all aim toward a specific end: to help me discover the person I am again, and to then become that person. I’ve split these goals into four chunks accordingly.
General aims are to move toward a healthier weight/size; to become fitter, stronger, and more athletic; to improve nutrition; to improve sleep; and to reduce anxiety. I would like my external and internal selves to better align so that I feel more comfortable in my own skin.
- Weight loss: As you might imagine, weight loss is high on my list. Since my body strongly resists change, my focus will be on eating and exercising in a way that should promote weight loss. Hopefully my body will relent, and if not, at least I’m treating myself right. Any true weight loss this year (not fluctuating in a maintenance range) would be awesome.
- Work to be able to run a full 5K by year’s end (some of this will depend on if I can lose weight, so this will be a work-in-progress goal to be evaluated by my efforts, not results)
- Participate in at least one official 5K
- Average 3.5 fruits/veggies daily (2018 average: 3.1)
- Average 10k steps per day (2018 average: 9437)
- Increase total mileage (2018 total: 381 miles)
- Increase total yoga workouts (2018 total: 181)
- Complete 1000+ fitness minutes monthly, except in Jun, Jul, and Aug, which will be 750+ mins
- Work with my doctor to monitor sleep medications for better sleep-management
- Meditate on at least 50 days
The goal is to eventually balance our household expenses in a way to zero out debt and start saving again, while being able to live comfortably and help support our children while they transition to adulthood.
- Strictly stick to a monthly budget to pay off as much credit card debt as possible, preferably all but at very minimum 50%
- Continue to work weekly with our budget and find places to streamline/reduce
- Balance budget-management with small splurges (dates, gifts, etc) to avoid an all-or-nothing mentality that will likely backfire
- Help our kids apply for various forms of financial aid and scholarships
- Shore up our (falling apart) deck and fences to help them last longer before needing replacement
I would like to once again feel safe, loved, and comfortable in my own home, and additionally I’d like to connect more with friends, extended family, and my community.
- Have one date night/day outside the house monthly
- Do something special for our 20th anniversary in December
- Host one social gathering quarterly at my house (excluding birthday parties or writing groups)
- Have one group night or day out quarterly
- Attend Siclovia, a local street festival that occurs twice-yearly
- Visit 12 new-to-me locations in San Antonio
- Finish xeriscaping our front yard
Most of what I’ve lost over the last few years include my interests, future purpose/intentions, and long-term goals. I’d like to recover those this year, and test to see if some old interests are still valid.
- Learn one new skill/lesson/hobby etc monthly (physical or intellectual). Can continue learning from previous months if more extensive. Note: This must be more than a passing TED Talk or article read on a subject. The goal is to discover ongoing interests and hobbies, particularly ones that might lead to a career after my kids leave home.
- Watch as much of my movie backlist as possible
- Read six classics, plays, or books of poetry
- Edit Maldralith, one of my manuscripts
- Complete monthly writing-related goals
- Unless circumstances interfere, participate in NaNoWriMo
- Explore options for returning to school
That’s a lot, but these are the things I really want to do this year. It’s a big year for me, turning 40, seeing my first son graduate high school then go off to college, Jason’s and my 20th anniversary, and a particular personal anniversary (30 years) on August 4th. It’s a big year, and I want it to be a great year as well. So aim big, right?
Do you have goals/resolutions for 2019? I’d love to hear them! Goal-making is one of my favorite activities ever!