Wellness Wednesday – A Disruptive Month

I haven’t talked a lot about my health this month, because honestly, there hasn’t been much to talk about. Nutrition and fitness took a backseat in February. There was just so much else to cope with. First, my grandmother passed away at the beginning of the month, then we had flu run through our house. I spent a lot of time watching the Olympics as a way to occupy my brain while grieving. And then Jojo came home with us mid-month, and I spent a lot of time nursing a sick kitten. I didn’t really have room in my brain for anything else!

Then there was the weather. February has been wild here! It’s rained almost every day (extremely unusual) and the temps have been a roller-coaster. One day it’ll be 75 degrees and so muggy that it feels much hotter than the temp, and the next it’ll be in the 40s with a wind-chill in the 30s. The abrupt weather changes kept causing recurring illness, even after flu was over, and the rain kept me indoors. I couldn’t do my normal neighborhood walks a couple times per week, and MAN it gets dull walking in circles around your bedroom. Plus, once you have a kitten quarantined in your bedroom, it’s difficult to do any walking, as he tends to run after you and attack your feet or get stepped on. Sigh.

My family ended up eating out a lot this month also, and eating a lot of pre-made foods while everyone was sick. It’s just what we had to do to survive the month, but it certainly took a toll on us all. And of course, with everything else going on, I didn’t have the time or energy to pay attention to my calories or sugar grams or anything else. Other things were just too important this month, and my nutritional health suffered. I keep a record of how I’m eating through the month – a tiered colored calendar of good, okay, and bad – and this month my bad days outnumber the okay days and are more than double the good. The bad days are also twice the number they’ve been in any month since I’ve tracked this way. So yeah, it’s been a bad month!

But I need to get back on track now. I’m tired of making no progress. My old maintenance anniversary just passed last week, and of course I haven’t been near my goal weight for a couple years. The difference between 2013 when I first hit my goal and today, five years later, is frustrating.

Tomorrow is my 39th birthday. I need to lose 70 lbs to be back where I was all those years ago. That won’t happen before I turn 40. The most I’ve ever lost in a year was 54 lbs and that was before I developed full-blown PCOS. But I would like to be able to make some decent progress this year, and to accomplish some things over the next year, health-wise and otherwise. I’ve created a list for myself, 40 things to do before I turn 40, and I hope y’all will wish me lots of luck and motivation on these!

This entry was posted in Wellness and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Wellness Wednesday – A Disruptive Month

Good luck girl! If it makes you feel any better, I think I gained at least ten pounds since Christmas. I hate it, but this time of the year with all the travel and time spent inside theaters is HORRIBLE for eating healthy. I am lucky if I have time to even get lunch or dinner most weekends. My goal is to come out of this season with a plan. I don’t know what it will be, but I do believe I have reached the point where I am so disgusted by the way I look without clothes that it is time to take action. Just not until May.

At this point I hardly care what I look like but I’m tired of being so sore and exhausted all the time! I want all my body – internal and external – to get back into working order so I can be well again!

Liked by 1 person

Sometimes we get off track. It happens. I was sick for two of the four weeks this month so I know! Anyway, I bet you will have an awesome March. 🙂

3. Hey no matter what you should keep in mind that you are very beautiful homie! You really are a nice looking woman. Happy early birthday to you and I think you have a ton of great accomplishments ahead of you! Just keep your head up and I think it’s o.k sometimes just to survive! You guys have been thru a lot of things and you will get right back because you know what to do and how to do it! I believe in you my friend! Have an amazing day and don’t be so hard on yourself!

4. Word Lily says:

I was wondering how it was going for you. It’s been a bad month for me, too. Here’s to a much better March and forward.

Happy birthday!

5. Trisha says:

This winter has been rough on me too. I was doing well, exercising regularly if not eating healthily at a consistent level, but these past two months have a been a real struggle. Good luck to both (all) of us going forward!

6. Karen K. says:

I hope the weather changes for you soon, it’s cold and blowy right now and if it warms up it’ll probably rain all next week! I do miss the Texas “winters.”

And have you not found another book group? I really miss all my bookish peeps back in SA — luckily, I’ve found a good book group here on base. I’m taking over next year so hopefully I can influence the reading selections!

I went to the Semmes library group two months ago, by accident, but I missed last month due to dealing with our foster kitten at the shelter. I plan to go this month, though. The books are kinda hit-or-miss for me but it feels nice to have some people to discuss with, and Carlos apparently attends!

7. I love your 40 x 40 list, it is so inspiring! I hope you’re seeing A Wrinkle in Time this week!