I didn’t have much of a plan for RIP this year. I knew things would be chaotic and sporadic since we were in the process of moving. When I made up my original list of RIP-possibilities, I had no idea which, if any, of those titles I would get my hands on. Two months later, there are a couple I’m still waiting on at the library (The Motion of Puppets, Nevernight), a couple I read (below), and one that I decided I wasn’t interested in (The Swan Riders). I made a reread list on my initial post as well, because I was kinda in a reread mood. Ironically, while I did have a few rereads, only one came from that list. My RIP reads with brief thoughts, in order of when I read them:
- The Accidental Alchemist by Gigi Pandian (audio) – a random audio pick on Audible that turned out to be a cute cozy mystery with lots of spooky atmosphere.
- Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris (audio) – It’s become a tradition to re-listen to this one yearly.
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (audio) – another reread, one that caused me to like the series better than after my initial read
- The Creeping Shadow by Jonathan Stroud (audio) – I’d been waiting for this one for so long and I loved every second of the twice I listened to it.
- Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo (audio) – Ironically, I liked this one less on audio than I probably would have in print…still, enjoyed it overall.
- Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (audio) – another reread that was perfect for the season!
- The Trespasser by Tana French (audio) – ditto everything I said on The Creeping Shadow
- No One Knows by JT Ellison (audio) – my first disappointment of the RIP season
- The Masquerading Magician by Gigi Pandian (audio) – not quite as good as the first, but still fun for RIP!
- The Girl with All the Gifts by MR Carey (audio) – totally blown away by this one!
- A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir – assuming I finish by end of day tomorrow!
In the end, I read 11 books, including 3 rereads, and enjoyed all but one of them. And nearly everything on my RIP list this year was on audio – all but the last! It was a spooky listening year, I suppose!
Thanks again Carl for hosting!