Favorite authors: for me, defined by my consistent enjoyment across many books, rather than simply authors of my favorite books. For example, Possession by AS Byatt is one of my favorite books, but I’ve never made it through another book she’s written, so I wouldn’t consider her a favorite author. The following (alphabetical) list are authors that may not satisfy me 100% of the time, but fairly consistently write books that resonate with me.
1. Deb Caletti – When I first began to read YA in 2009, Caletti was one of the first authors I discovered. Her books – YA and adult – are slow, quiet, and literary, and I adore them.
2. Suzanne Collins – Love her characters, her world-building, her pacing…
3. Maureen Johnson – I adore her books, and having heard her speak twice at conferences, I adore her, too.
4. William Somerset Maugham – The first classic author that I found that I liked, way back in 2001. I’ve read dozens of his books and 95% of them are wonderful.
5. Vladimir Nabokov – Yes, he can be a prick, and some of his books sacrifice story for form, but god I love Nabokov and think the man is brilliant.
6. Tom Perrotta – Perrotta is the author that showed me that adult literary fiction didn’t have to be boring and pretentious.
7. Brandon Sanderson – Everything this man writes is genius, and without him, I never would have discovered how much I love fantasy.
8. Rosy Thornton – Best love stories ever, and incredible character detail.
9. Scott Westerfeld – I’ve never been able to get over how amazing this man’s imagination is.
10. Emile Zola – Zola knew exactly how to pull on heartstrings.
Who are some of your favorite authors?
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.