Sunday Coffee – Tidbits

IMG_1221Good morning, everyone!

It’s one of those weeks for me, the kind that involves miscellaneous bits and pieces as my family tries to fully settle into the new place. Jason now has a place to go to work during the day, and we’re working on getting a second car. Morrigan has an interview on Wednesday with the agriculture magnet school that he’d love to get into, and has also been spending a lot of time with his best-friend-since-kindergarten. Ambrose will be turning thirteen this week (!!). Both he and Laurence are also settling into the summer routine. My big goal is to get back to my paralegal studies this week, which have been sorely neglected for the last month because of this move!

Also neglected? My health. I haven’t talked much about my health, fitness, and weight since reopening The Zen Leaf. Those who have known me for a long time know that I went on a weight loss journey in 2011-2013, losing about 105 lbs total. The last year has done a number on me, and I’ve regained about 30-35 lbs. This morning, my Wii Fit told me I was officially obese again (ugh). So today begins a new weight loss journey. I’m not going to talk about it much here – I’ll keep those posts out at Sparkpeople – but I’m hoping to embrace a more positive approach to weight loss this time, a self-loving approach instead of self-hating.

IMG_1220In general, I’m trying to be more positive in the way I see and do things. My PTSD has caused me to see the world in a generally hostile light for decades, and I’m trying to turn that around. Little things. Color-therapy has been wonderful. Yoga. Oh man, yoga. I swear, I never realized how good yoga would make me feel! Then there’s signing up with Ipsy (thanks, Amanda!) and eagerly anticipating my first glam bag. Who is this person trying all these new things?? Ha!

IMG_1209 - Copy

And, of course, there are friends. It is so good to be back in an area where so many friends and family members live. Yesterday, I had a little potluck gathering with a bunch of fellow writers, readers, and fitness-enthusiasts. These people are so awesome, and the wonderful feeling of love all gathered together in my living room was very good for my soul. 🙂

This entry was posted in Personal, Wellness and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Sunday Coffee – Tidbits

1. Trisha says:

Glad things are going well, and I’m happy to hear a focus on being happy as part of your goals. I truly believe that happiness is the be-all, end-all and one of the most difficult things to achieve. Real happiness, not what passes for it these days.

It is so very hard to achieve, and I’ve had very little of it in my life. It’s good to know WHY now, and I’m hoping to find a good doctor to work with here to keep getting better!

2. Karen K. says:

I had so much fun last night! It was great to see you again! I missed you.

3. Lindsey says:

Taking care of yourself is harder than it should be, right? I’m trying to learn to be kind to myself and relax, even if I haven’t crossed everything off the to-do list.

How did you start doing yoga? Did you go take a class or start at home?

I was too intimidated for a class, so I ended up checking out various videos from the library to get myself acquainted with it. I’d still consider myself very much a beginner. I would eventually like to get to classes!

4. Beth F says:

Baby steps, eh? How fun to be trying new things at the same time you’re getting back in touch with old friends.

Agriculture magnet school sounds awesome! What does he eventually hope to do?

So happy to see how happy you are to be home, and how many new things have made you happy lately. 🙂

Best of luck with the weight loss! If you did it once, you can do it again.

I’m not sure what he hopes to do. Something with environmentalism and bio-chemistry, I believe, is the general direction at the moment. 🙂

6. Pingback: Top Moments of 2015 | The Zen Leaf