Today’s topic is about beach reads, but I don’t really have a good concept of “beach read,” because I never go to the beach. Ew, sand. Yeah. However, there are many books over the years that, for one reason or another, have gotten entwined with “summer” in my brain. Sometimes I read them over the summer. Sometimes, summer was a significant theme, or a strong part of the setting. These are my favorites of those summer “beach” reads:
2. the Harry Potter books by JK Rowling – HP is inevitably mixed with summer for me, both because I began reading the series right after HBP came out in summer 2005 and because the one release I actually waited for was in July 2007. I had a Harry Potter pre-release party and everything.
3. Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather – Mostly because the New Mexico setting just reminds me of deserts and sandstone and the sun.
5. City of Veils by Zoe Ferraris – Another Zoe on the list! Heh. This one is set in Saudi Arabia, and the initial body is found on a beach…
6. Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby – One of my very first audiobooks, and listened to in late summer, so very much entwined…
7. Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson – Um, the title itself makes this self-explanatory. Furthermore, I read it during a summer. Also, the book was a real tearjerker.
8. Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson – I haven’t hosted a lot of readalongs, but this was one of them, all through the summer of 2012. I adore Sanderson, and this of all his books is a real summer-book for me. In fact, I’ve been getting the itch to reread as the weather warms.
9. Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill – I honestly don’t know why I associate this one with summer, because I read it in spring and it takes place during spring break. Probably because it was a cute, light love story, and in general I associate trips to Europe with my own trip to Europe in the summer of 1999.
10. Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon – Another timing thing. Listening to this while walking/running around in the Texas summer heat.
Probably most of these aren’t anyone else’s idea of “beach reads,” haha!
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.