1) Dolores O’Riordan’s death hit me very hard on Monday. She was one of the formative artists of my adolescence. I wrote a tribute for her on Facebook and Instagram, so I won’t repeat it here, but I will say that she’s one of the only celebrities whose death has hit me on such a personal level. I admit, I cried. And I put on the first album of hers that I owned and danced. Jason changed his mind about his special birthday dinner and instead put on an Irish dinner as a send-off (she was pretty important to him, too).
2) San Antonio had another of those bizarre winter storms. We got down to into the teens for temps, which is so unusual that I don’t think I’ve ever seen it happen in all my years living here. There was freezing rain on top of that, encasing the cars in ice and basically shutting down the city. Snow was predicted but it never came to my part of the city. Just black ice, which is no fun. The boys were home on Tuesday because of it, and barely made it to school on Wednesday.
3) Ever since early high school, there are three times of year that seem to hold particular mental health struggles for me. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to realize that this is depression and anxiety spilling out from early trauma that’s been stored in my body. Mid-January is one of these times. The date is flexible, but it’s often January 17th that I fall apart. I don’t know which particular trauma caused this particular trigger. I just know that every year since I was 15 or so has blindsided me around this date. No different this year. I did not feel well already on the 17th because I was nervous about all the ice. Then I was home alone, dealing with anxiety, and I fell apart. Hard. I spent the rest of the week trying to deal with the lingering anxiety and fear. It probably doesn’t help that my doctor just changed the dose of my medication. I’ll adjust, no worries.
5) My middle son starts driver’s ed tomorrow. !!! My oldest will hopefully start in April, provided he’s cleared for it (he has some mental health issues that have prevented him so far).
6) My youngest son has started doing yoga with us this week!
7) OUR HOUSE IN WISCONSIN SOLD!!! We found out late Friday evening that everything had gone through. Since it’s all being done through a third party (the relocation company), we didn’t know when it would happen, though we’ve been in progress on the whole thing for a while now. I hadn’t wanted to mention it publicly until it actually went through. So many crazy things happened around the sale of this house and I’m so relieved that come February 1st, we’ll only have one house payment due. Maybe now we can start working on getting out of credit card debt and back on level footing after four years of moves! Yay! We celebrated all day yesterday – family Wii bowling, library (where I got to sit with the book club for a bit!), Half Price Books, then a movie at one of those places that serve you dinner during the film. We saw The Post, which was excellent. And I’ve now officially seen more films in theatre this month than I usually do in a year. Heh. Today we need to go back to budgeting hard, but it was really nice to have a day to celebrate.